BT is going through a significant transformation and has exciting plans for the future of its business. As part of BT’s transformation plans, we’ve recently combined our previously distinct Business and Public Sector and Wholesale and Ventures businesses to form a new unit – Enterprise. The new organisation provides products and services to 1.2 million customers in the SME, corporate and public sectors in the UK and to the public sector and multinational corporations in the Republic of Ireland. It delivers wholesale services to around 1,400 communications providers and also includes BT’s Ventures business which acts as an incubator for potential new growth areas of the company, such as its Gigabit Wi-Fi enabled digital street units. Enterprise is also responsible for BT’s Internet of Things strategy.
We need to make sure that our new Enterprise business has a brilliant and compelling story which clearly articulates the company’s strengths and ambitions in the B2B tech sector in the UK and Republic of Ireland. So we’re currently recruiting for two new External Communications Managers to drive our Enterprise story forward.
That’s where you come in. As External Communications Manager, you’ll be responsible for driving the reputation management campaign for Enterprise, with a focus on managing and influencing external stakeholders, including national, business, trade and online media. You will deliver a compelling external PR strategy and plan to support the strategic and commercial objectives of the Enterprise unit, advising on key campaigns, messaging, target audiences, communications channels and tactics, and will be responsible for the delivery of all external communications activity. In addition to delivering against the proactive aspects of the strategy and plan, you will also be responsible for crisis and issues management, advising senior executives and responding calmly and effectively to situations as they arise to ensure that BT’s reputation is protected.
In a bit more detail, you’ll:
• Work closely with the Head of Business External Communications and key stakeholders within BT’s Enterprise unit to develop a strategic PR programme and external narrative which supports the key business objectives of Enterprise
• Oversee and deliver external communication activity for BT’s Enterprise unit, ensuring the reputation of the business is actively managed and promoted via all relevant channels
• Directly manage and influence the national, business, online and trade media – proactively and reactively – to enhance and protect the reputation of Enterprise in the eyes of key media stakeholders
• Develop and maintain a strong pipeline of proactive stories in the form of press releases, bylines, blogs, social media posts, crafting all written materials and selling in to the appropriate channels
• Identify thought leadership opportunities/campaigns for Enterprise and deliver any associated external comms activities
• Provide strategic advice to senior management around crisis and issues management situations, responding effectively to enquiries from media and other external stakeholders to protect business and brand reputation
• Work closely with the Corporate Affairs Director for Enterprise and other key parts of the Group Corporate Affairs department, including Internal Communications; Policy and Public Affairs; Planning and Operations; CEO Office and Corporate Projects team, to ensure effective, co-ordinated communications support for Enterprise
• As required, support the industry analyst engagement programme to raise the profile and ratings of Enterprise
• As required, support the CEO Office and Corporate Projects team on the events/speaker programmes across the sectors and customer segments to exploit opportunities to represent the Enterprise strategy, investments, and portfolio/solution innovations
• Measure the business impact of PR to identify and exploit impact of future messaging. Create feedback and reporting techniques and tools to drive internal stakeholder satisfaction and recommend ways of achieving continuous improvement
If you can demonstrate the following, we’d love to hear from you:
• PR/external communications in the B2B tech/telecoms sector
• A strong track record of developing and delivering B2B tech/telecoms communications campaigns across multiple audiences, either in house or agency side
• A strong media contact book spanning national, business, trade and online journalists writing for the B2B tech/telecoms sector
• Excellent writing skills, with a passion for technology; ability to adapt style and content to capture the imaginations of a variety of audiences
• Expertise and track record in effectively tracking, managing and responding to crises and issues
• Strategic thinker with the ability to operate, challenge and influence at senior levels
• A team player, with the ability to drive campaigns forward and think outside of the box
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with a collegiate approach to working with others
• Willingness and ability to flex between leading and supporting, depending on business and team needs
At BT, we’re creating an inclusive working environment where people from all backgrounds can succeed. Diversity makes sense for us, for our customers and for our future.
We value different perspectives, skills and experiences. We’re happy to consider ways of working that will mean you can perform at your best. If you want to talk about working part-time or as a job share in this role, please apply and we’ll do our best to get the balance right.